Frequently Ask Questions

Exchange Rates

When converting foreign currency to U.S. currency for purposes of filing a U.S. tax return, what foreign currency exchange rate should I use?

The Internal Revenue Service has no official exchange rate. Generally, it accepts any posted exchange rate that is used consistently.

If you have a single transaction, such as the sale of a business that occurred on a single day, use the exchange rate for that day. However, if you receive income evenly throughout the tax year, you may translate the foreign currency to U.S. dollars using the yearly average currency exchange rate for the tax year.

Back to Index